Below are some of the lower body exercises that work best, and also some that you should avoid.
- Walk in the shallow part of the pool
- Walk on land or on a treadmill with no incline
- Swim laps in the pool with very gentle kicks
- Ride your bike in high gears or cycle on a stationary bike
- Yoga poses
- Isometric exercises that make the hip stronger but don't move the joint
Also try our CanDo Fold-Up Pedal Exerciser instead of a stationary bike.
- Do abduction exercises that move the leg from the body
- Squat with heavy weights. Note that wall squats or squats with the bar only across the shoulders are usually ok.
- Swim laps with very gentle kicks
- Walk in the shallow part of the pool, on land or on a treadmill with no incline
- Tai chi
- Ride bike in easier gears or cycle on a stationary bike
- Do squats with heavy weights
- Do some yoga poses or basketball or racquetball that involve sudden changes of direction
- Do high impact sports
- Swim laps
- Upper body and quad-strengthening exercises
- Walk in well padded and supportive shoes
- Walk in the pool
Our All-Pro Adjustable 5-lb Ankle Weights can be used for quad work.
- Do high impact activities that require jumping
- Walk on surfaces that are uneven
- Walk for long distances with no rest
- Do sports such as tennis or basketball